Summary: This article discusses the clothing and other items most missionaries will need to pack and bring on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. See your mission call letter for more details on what you’ll need for your specific mission.
The General Instructions Checklist, which is part of the pack you receive when you get your mission call letter, is customized for each missionary based on your mission and gender. It will tell you in detail the clothing, shoes, toiletries, luggage, electronics, and other items you will need to bring with you to your specific mission. You may also get a letter from your mission president that will provide details on the gear you will need to buy and bring.
The list below is a summary of some of the most common items each missionary will need to bring on the mission, but please refer to the list of things to pack that is accessible on the Missionary Portal after your call is received. Also, please remember to follow the missionary dress and grooming standards (which the Church updates from time to time) when buying clothes for your mission, so you don’t end up buying things that you cannot ultimately bring on your mission.
|Mission Clothing List: Elders||Mission Clothing List: Sisters|
Of course you will need luggage to carry your clothes and personal belongings. It is suggested that missionaries bring 3 pieces of luggage that follow these guidelines: Two large suitcases (that you could check at the airport) and one smaller bag (a carry-on). The two larger suitcases should be no larger than 62 dimensional inches (height plus width plus depth), and no heavier than 50 pounds. The smaller, carry-on bag should be no larger than 45 dimensional inches, and no heavier than 35 pounds.
For more information on what to bring to the MTC, including more details on luggage, clothing, and technology, as well as information on travel to the MTC and advice for family and friends, see the Missionaries page on the Provo MTC website.
Missionaries should bring their scriptures and they are also allowed to bring the following books, if they desire:
- True to the Faith
- Jesus the Christ, by James E. Talmage
- Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Our Search for Happiness, By M. Russell Ballard
- See the approved Missionary Reading List for more detail
What NOT to Bring on Your Mission
Do not bring the following items to the MTC or to the mission field:
- Any books not listed above
- Daily planners, including electronic planners
- Laptop or desktop computers
- Any video recording devices, or any video or DVD players
- Smart watches or unauthorized electronic equipment (most missions allow uses cell phones and you will be given instructions from Church headquarters or your mission president on how to get the technology that you will need.)
- Radios or clock radios
- Musical instruments
- Playing cards, games, footballs, soccer balls, or any other kind of sports or hobby equipment
- Packages for other missionaries in the MTC or in the mission field
- Weapons of any kind
For information on how much you can expect to spend on clothing and other items, see my related article: Cost To Get Ready To Go On A Mission.