I received my temple endowment in 1995, in the Washington, DC Temple just prior to leaving for my mission to Rosario, Argentina. It was a sweet experience as I was surrounded by my parents and other extended family. All missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints receive their temple endowment prior to embarking in missionary service. Receiving the temple endowment is an important part of mission preparation because it gives individuals spiritual knowledge and power that will help them better serve the Lord. The demands of missionary service require spiritual strength, and the temple blessings bring power to worthy missionaries. This power comes through the greater understanding of Heavenly Father’s plan, and the sacred covenants and blessings obtained only in the temple.
Here some statement by current and past prophets and apostles regarding the importance of missionaries receiving their temple endowment.
- President Howard W. Hunter taught, “Let us prepare every missionary to go to the temple worthily and to make that experience an even greater highlight than receiving the mission call” (Ensign, Nov. 1994, 88).
- “Going to the temple for your own endowment… [is] an integral part of your mission preparation…You cannot do this work alone. We have to have heaven’s help, we have to have the ‘gifts’ of God…This work is so serious and the adversary’s opposition to it so great that we need every divine power to enhance our effort and move the Church
steadily forward” (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Apr. 25, 1997).
- “Missionaries …are not fully qualified to go forth, preach the gospel, and build up the kingdom, unless they have the gift of the Holy Ghost and also are endowed with power from on high…[that is] given only in the Lord’s Temple” (Elder Bruce R. McConkie, Doctrinal New Testament Commentary)
- The Lord “called all the missionaries to Kirtland in the early day of the Church to receive endowments in the temple erected there. He said this was so that they could go out with greater power from on high and with greater protection” (Doctrines of Salvation, Bruce R. McConkie).
- Elder David B. Haight,”The temple endowment gives knowledge that, when acted upon, provides strength and conviction of truth.” (A Light unto the World , 49).
Read a related article on how the temple is and integral part of mission work for missionaries and new converts.
Here is a great video produced by the Church on why we build temples.